All Hands On Deck
June 15, 2017 8:26 am by Jacob McAllister
The GOP Is Working In Secret To Push Through Their Obamacare Replacement
Time is running out to stop the Republican Healthcare bill that is being crafted in stealth as we speak, according to multiple sources. While the news media largely focuses on the fallout from the Comey hearings, a group of Senate Republicans are hard at work drafting a new bill, in hopes that they can push it through before the Congressional Budget Office has a chance to see it. Indivisible, who just released a guide to how to fight Trumpcare, is leading the way. From the guide:
The Senate is trying to do what the House of Representatives did in May: jam through its TrumpCare bill in secrecy, without public hearings, without a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) score, and without knowing its full impact on American families. That’s why the time to put on the pressure is now. We’ve put together new resources and an action plan to help.
We are at a point now where we really just can’t hold back. We need to be calling every day to make sure that Senate offices are hearing about this bill and about how people don’t want it.
Devil’s In the Deets
As for the plan itself, it is almost identical to the plan laid out by the House, that didn’t even reach the floor for a vote. The bill is wildly unpopular, and would likely leave around 23 million Americans with no health insurance. Again from Indivisible:
IF YOUR REPRESENTATIVE VOTED FOR TRUMPCARE, THEY VOTED TO:
- Take away health care from 23 million Americans. This is according to nonpartisan estimates by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO). This will result in 24,000 – 44,000 more Americans dying every year from lack of insurance. Not to mention medical bankruptcies, lost wages, untreated illnesses…
- Hike deductibles by $1500 on average. TrumpCare pushes Americans into low-quality, high cost-sharing health insurance by providing meager tax credits compared to the Affordable Care Act. This is the opposite of what Trump promised in his campaign.
- End the federal protections for people with pre-existing conditions. TrumpCare incentivizes states to drop consumer protections, meaning insurance companies will be able to charge people more if they have a pre-existing condition. 130 million Americans have a pre-existing conditions. People could face premiums well over $100,000 a year.
- Allow insurance companies to charge older Americans significantly more for their health care. A single, 64 year old adult making $26,500/year would have to pay between $13,600 and $16,100 in annual premiums, depending whether they live in a state that sought a waiver from consumer protections. Compare this to the $1,700 the same person would pay under current law that’s a 950% increase.
- Cut $834 billion from Medicaid, a program that more than 70 million Americans, half of which are children, rely on. TrumpCare cuts federal funding for the program, which will result in states having to ration care and cut the quality of services.
- Put lifetime and annual benefit caps back on the table for even those with employer coverage. This means a baby with a serious medical condition could use up its lifetime limits in the first month of life under TrumpCare.
- Make women pay more for health insurance than men. Because insurance companies could charge more for pre-existing conditions like breast cancer or assault survival and because pregnancy care no longer would be a required benefit, women would once again pay more for health care than men.
- Defund Planned Parenthood. Nearly 3 million Americans, especially women and families, receive affordable health care services annually at Planned Parenthood facilities. TrumpCare prohibits any funding from going to these clinics.
- Harm children with special needs by cutting Special Education funds for schools. Medicaid funds a large portion of education for students with a variety of disabilities. Buried in the bill is a provision that no longer recognizes schools as required Medicaid providers, on top of the massive cuts to the program.
- And, it does all of this in order to pay for $600 billion in tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations.
You can check out the full plan to stop Trumpcare right here. It is well worth the read, and provides tangible steps that can be taken to prevent this bill from passing.